Welcome to our family blog!

This blog was started in October 2010 shortly before our daughter, Abigail Grace, was born. She was diagnosed at our 18 week ultrasound with Holoprosencephaly (HPE), and we were preparing for a child with very complex medical needs and a shortened life expectancy. Abby was born on November 12th and sadly passed away just four days later. This blog follows me, Matt and Abby’s big brother, Connor, along our journey from preparing for Abby’s birth through our adjustment to life without her.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Four and a Half Precious Days

It was the equivalent of a long weekend.  Have you taken an extended weekend vacation lately?  Maybe headed to Vermont to enjoy a few days of the Fall foliage. That is about the extent of my beautiful daughter’s life.  Abigail Grace was born before the sun came up Friday morning and passed away on Tuesday afternoon.  I feel like I blinked and it was over.  Did I even wakeup on Friday morning, was it just a dream?

We knew the cards were stacked against her from the beginning; when we received her diagnosis it was made very clear to us that her condition could mean a very short life, and certainly a challenging one.  Matt took two weeks off of work so we could alternate nights in the NICU after I was discharged.  I made arrangements to work from home with the expectation of multiple early intervention therapies happening each week in our home once Abby made it out of the hospital.  None of that ever happened.  On my day of discharge it all just ended.

It was early, and I went down to Abby’s room to be there for rounds.  When the team finally made it over to 2445 we joined them in the hallway to find that there were no major changes, but that the MRI revealed Abby actually had the Middle Interhemispheric Variant rather than Semi-Lobar as we thought.  Just after hearing that, Abby’s nurses told me it was “almost time”.  I immediately took off my sweater and Abby rested her face against my chest.  I laid there holding her, kissing her head and inhaling her as deeply as possible; feeling like each breath would be her last.  Matt sat right with us, rubbing her back and holding my hand, and then he took his turn holding her for the last time.

Connor left school early to say good bye.  He really just wanted to color, but he gave her a kiss first.  We didn’t push him, as he was nervous.  We decided to give Abby a bath and dressed her in the pink two piece outfit Con had specifically chosen for her to wear home.  It was as I was dressing her that I realized she was no longer with us.  I picked her up and held her to my chest and cried.  It was like I was holding a baby doll, and couldn’t let go.  I don’t remember all of the conversation around me, but I was holding her with tear-filled eyes not paying attention to anything.  Eventually I had to put her down, which felt like the most unnatural thing in the world to do.   

We could have kept Abby around for a few more days on a ventilator, but that wouldn’t have done her any good.  Our objective for her short life was for her to be comfortable and to know love.  We did our absolute best to make that happen for her.  She was meant to get her wings and join the other HPE angel babies. 

I can’t even begin to describe how heartbroken we are.  After we explained to Connor, who has a reasonable 4 year old understanding of death and Heaven, that Abby’s body just didn’t work like his does, he replied “But we have a crib for her.  She can just sleep there”.  Oh Lord, I want her to.  I wish I could have just taken her home and tucked her into her beautiful girly crib to watch her sleep eternally. Instead, this morning Matt and I picked out a tiny casket that she will be laid to rest in after her mass at St. Teresa’s on Saturday morning.  ***We did not print an obituary in the paper, however anyone who wishes to honor Abby with us is most welcome to attend.  The service is at St. Teresa's Church on Newport Avenue in Pawtucket at 10AM, this Saturday, November 20th.

Thank you, thank you a million times for all of the love and support you have offered us.  Our family and friends, our new friends from the HPE community; I can’t even begin to express our gratitude for the support we’ve received.



33 comments:

  1. Donna and Matt, I am so sorry for your loss but I can guarantee that no child was ever shown so much love as Abby was in her few days here. She has touched the lives of so many by just being born to two amazing parents. God Bless you for your strength to share this with us and for sweet Abby on her journey back Home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It broke my heart to read this, what a beautiful post. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thought,prayer and love go out to all of you at this time....Abby is now a Angel flying in the heavens above spreading her wings with all the love and joy of knowing how much she was loved by so many....Rest in Peace Sweet Abby!
    Maria and Jonathan Valencia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. Your beautiful daughter was blessed to be a part of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss. She was so beautiful. Abby is now in heaven with my daughter, Kennadee. Kennadee will take good care of Abby!My name is Jessica Mayer and if you have a facebook account look me up. My profile picture is black and white and I'm holding Kennadee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so so sorry for your loss. Reading everything that you all have gone through and losing your baby girl brings tears to my eyes. My heart goes out to you Donna Grace & Matt and Connor too. She will always be your special little angel up in heaven! <3 My prayers go out to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My deepest condolences. Your in my heart ~ thoughts ~ prayers. Take care and God bless.

    With Love
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, Matt and Connor, I'm so sorry for your loss, although we have an HPE baby, we could not imagine what you have been going through at the loss of your sweet baby! We love you, we pray for you and know that she is always with you!

    Sincerely,

    Los Peña

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the first time in a really long time I find myself at a loss for words. First and foremost I want to tell you how very sorry I am for your loss and I know that sorry isn't much but it's all I have. Secondly I want you to know that you are not alone, I lost my Angel Marie in April and I know that she was there with all the other HoPE babies to welcome her with open arms!! Know that she was loved and that you gave her all you could while she was here and hold that close to your heart. We are here for you always, when you need to cry or vent or scream, we are here to share your pain. Again I am so sorry, may God bless and comfort you and your family. Angel and Kennadee will take good care of her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your precious Angel with us. Such a wonderful big brother & Abby will forever be in all of our hearts. May your hearts be filled forever with her love, and big brother Connor, such a big man you are. You picked out her outfit to go home in, and she wore it home. What a great honor that is

    ReplyDelete
  11. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry for your loss. I wish you more peaceful days ahead, as I know your heartbreak all to well. Hugs, Karen Smith
    http://familiesforhope.org/jan08hannahsmith.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I truely beleive Abby felt your Love! Your family have been in my thoughts and prayers especially today! Fly high Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow thank you for sharing. Your courage and love for your family is absolutely inspiring. Your faith through adversity is so amazing. You are so right. God has a plan for that little girl and a plan for you. You have been blessed to meet other strong people like you and you have and will make a difference in so many lives as a result.I hope Abby has brought you both even closer. God bless you and your family. Your are in my families prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My thoughts and prayers are with you. There are several children's books on heaven if you need to look for some for Connor. Abby was beautiful!

    Roxanne Steele

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your family will forever hold a place in my heart

    ReplyDelete
  16. Donna Grace and Matt,
    We are so sorry to hear of Abby's passing. She was a beautiful girl who couldn't have felt more love in the short time she was with you. Your strength, faith and courage are inspiring to all. She will no doubt be smiling at her wonderful parents as she watches over you from Heaven. Our prayers are with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for your touching and inspiring story! May God Comfort you and give you peace! My prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sorry for your loss. I truly believe Abby is in Heaven and celebrating her new body. I'm reading a book right now that I think will give you some peace. It is called "Heaven is For Real" by Todd Burpo. It is about a three year old boy who died for three minutes and went to Heaven. He tells what he saw and who he met. You will be convinced Abby is there. Thanks for sharing your story with us. We have been praying for you all and will continue to do so.

    Brad & Amy Gibbs

    ReplyDelete
  19. Donna, Matt, and Connor First, I am so sorry you had to say good-bye so quickly. I knew on Tuesday I had a feeling that kept me a little gloomy all day without knowing why at the time but I had a hunch. I am heart-broken for you all. I don't think any parent should lay their child down to rest. However, we can't decide when and why but I do believe God won't give us more than we can handle. On 1/11/2011 (Less than two months away ugh) this year Madison would of been 10. I can't help but wonder what it would be like if she was still around. How much more love I could of passed on?.. but what I do know is what happens next hasn't occured and we can't plan we just need to live. Abby is in heaven, you and your family gave her so much love and you all did everything that you could have including allowing all of us in to this challenging time in your life. You went above that and remained absolutely selfless, having a deep understanding that you didn't want to perfom anything extreme just to keep her here longer.

    When I lost Madison I remember crying and praying that no one would ever have to feel this pain and it really hurts to know that you are all going through this pain now. Candles have been lit, prayers said and I just send wishes that you all continue to be so amazingly strong and loving and you are a very special family for an angel is looking over you now and always, not everyone can say that. Gabrielle and Makela know who their big sister is and they find peace every year doing something special for her in remembrance and in thanks for being an angel to us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So saddened by your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. Will be praying for your family during this difficult time.

    Gina
    Mom to Vinny SemiLobar HPE 23 mo old.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sadden to hear of Abby passing but happy you got 4 1/2 wonderful days with her. My son Ryland has SL-HPE and he will be 7 Nov 19 and I will tell you I cherish each day because we really don't know how long his has. It's hard to see another child pass but know that each one is loved so much and will run free with so many special HPE angels.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wonder if God knew how brief Abby's life was going to be, so that is why he chose to give her to the most wonderful family I know. A family that showed her the true meaning of love and life, no matter how short. I've been thinking about you all constantly, can't wait to give Connor a giant hug.

    With love and sorrow,
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  23. My husband and I don't know you, but we have been praying for Abby and for your family. We were very saddened by the news of Abby's passing, but we are glad to know that you got to spend 4 1/2 days showing her love. As the next few weeks and months unfold, we'll pray for God to give you strength and peace.


    Warmly,

    Amy and Brad

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry for your loss. I cant even imagine. This was very sad for me to read. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. She is a beautiful little angel. R.I.P Beautiful Babygirl


    God Bless

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  25. I got this post through a friend whose little boy has the same diagnosis as your sweet little girl did. Thank you for sharing such an honest and beautiful story during what I can only imagine is the hardest time in your life. My family and I will keep you all in our prayers and I will remember to ask your sweet little angel in heaven for help if I ever need it!! Blessings on you all!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so, so sorry to hear of your loss. I don't know you, but your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so sorry for your loss, I have been praying for Abby, and can not imagine what your going through. Asking God to give you peace that only he can give and to help you through this journey. Keeping you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Allard Family,

    This is Maria (Rosalie's Mom). Thank you for sharing your precious little angel with us. She has taught us all how precious and beautiful life is, even if it's a short one. She no longer has the limitations of her little body and now has her wings. You're all in our prayers. She has left an imprint in my heart. Hugs and kisses to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Donna Grace , Matt & Connor so sorry for the loss of your little angel. No words can descrive how you are all feeling. She will join Nana & papa Tarpey I am sure they are welcoming her with open arms. But so said she only had a few days with you guys. My thoughts & prayers are with you all. Just always no what a great person you are & the strenght you had you are one amazing person I love you. Madrinha Mayann

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so sorry, Donna. Your post is very powerful! May god give you and your family strength during this difficult time and may he have a special place for this beautiful angel, Abby Grace. Love always, Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Allard family: we both met and lost our daughter this summer and your story has touched us. While our daughter faced different challenges as your little one did, i still feel like large parts of your story are similar to ours. I'm so sorry you're in the thick of this right now; please let us know if you ever need someone to talk to who - if not in the same exact situation - is in a similar one. Our website is located at www.friendsofemilia.org if you are interested. Please feel free to contact us!

    ReplyDelete
  32. To Donna Grace, Matthew, and Connor, my heart goes out to you. God always has a plan but sometimes it hurts. Abby will surely be praying for you and all now and will be waiting for the day when you will all be with her in Heaven. I haven't seen you for so long but know my prayers and love are with you. Linda Fagan Straube (Auntie Donna's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  33. To the Sowa and Allard Families,
    My prayers and thoughts are with you. Abby was a special baby girl. Your love for her was astounding. Your dedication to her was incredible. She will always be your angel and watch over you all. With Sincere Sympathy, Nancy Sabetta

    ReplyDelete