Welcome to our family blog!

This blog was started in October 2010 shortly before our daughter, Abigail Grace, was born. She was diagnosed at our 18 week ultrasound with Holoprosencephaly (HPE), and we were preparing for a child with very complex medical needs and a shortened life expectancy. Abby was born on November 12th and sadly passed away just four days later. This blog follows me, Matt and Abby’s big brother, Connor, along our journey from preparing for Abby’s birth through our adjustment to life without her.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Twas the night before Christmas...

Well, it definitely feels like the night before Christmas in the Allard household.  Connor is staying at his Grammy’s tonight, because tomorrow morning we’ll be checking into our luxury suite at Women & Infants for 6am.  I’m pretty sure it’s still dark then, isn’t it?  Poor Con- his very Preschool-appropriate anxiety was apparent as he told me that he’s “not coming to visit at the hospital because they can just put you back together and you can come home to put me to bed tomorrow night”.   We’ve had a few days in a row of tears about me having to sleep at the hospital.  He’s far less upset about me having an operation than he is over the fact that I won’t be putting him to bed for a few nights.   Thankfully, he’s still VERY excited that Abby is finally being born.

It’s rather odd, having everything all planned out, knowing that in 12 hours I’ll no longer be pregnant.  We’ve built up so much anticipation for this moment; it’s somewhat surreal that it’s finally arrived. With Connor’s birth I didn’t so much as blink and there we were, on the operating table.  This time I’ve had far too much time to develop anxiety about all this!  I am, however, looking forward to breathing easier and seeing my feet again J

I’m very aware that children with special needs can make adults feel awkward, especially when those special needs are physically obvious.  People don’t know what to say, they want to ask questions but don’t want to offend, or just feel uncomfortable and prefer to smile politely and move on.  We may be scared of what is different, of what we don’t know; people may stop and stare or they may immediately look away.  I’m writing this so you don’t have to be one of those people. There’s no reason to be scared. Abby is going to look different; she has a cleft lip, and for now her head is somewhat enlarged.  We aren’t sure of other abnormalities, but we’ve been told her eyes may be set closer than normal. These differences may be very obvious, or they may be subtle.  We’ll find out when we meet her tomorrow morning, but it doesn’t really matter; no matter what she’s going to be beautiful to us just like her brother was, and we love her.  If you’re reading this, chances are it’s because you care and we want you to feel comfortable and welcome around us. 

Matt and I really appreciate all of the support our family and friends have shown in the past several weeks, and particularly in the past day or two.  All of the phone calls, text messages, emails, Facebook messages, and comments here have been overwhelming and heartwarming.  I know we’ve both been trying to keep up with responses; we can’t express how much we appreciate it and how loved you’ve made us feel.  This could have been an isolating time, but our experience for the most part has been the polar opposite.  Thank you for reaching out to us. We can’t wait to meet our daughter and to introduce her to you!

11 comments:

  1. Our kids are beautiful - everyone will fall in love, fast, hard... Unconditionally. Hugs to you from an HPE Internet stranger. I will be saying lots of special prayers for you and your family tonight,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I've been following your pregnancy and I'm thrilled that tomorrow is almost here! I do have a story for you that I do want to share but wanted to wait for you to have your time tomorrow with your newest bundle of such pureness...There is nothing like a new born baby that reminds you about life..

    Congratulations beautiful, Abby is so very lucky to have the family she is being born into and I wish you the best with recovery! I found Makela's post-C/section recovery was so much smoother than my other two.
    Much love,
    Chandra Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the baby girl.I have a son named Kai which is 4 years old who was dx with Alobar HPE at 3 days old.
    Can't wait to 'meet' your beautiful baby girl who is coming into this world with a beautiful name into an amazing and loving family.
    God Bless,
    Tonya Adkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. We heard about you from Leslie Harley. Just wanted you to know we will be praying for the entire family tonight and tomorrow morning. My wife is 30 weeks pregnant with a baby girl (Claire) who has severe hydrocephalus so we are getting anxious about the delivery in a couple of months. It's good to see that Abby will be born to such a nice family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a mother of a HPE child in Australia, my heart goes out to you and I pray that God will fill your hearts to overflowing with love for Abby. That's how we felt and still feel for our Sophie who has just turned 7.

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the HPE community. You will find all the support you could ever think of. I just read about your family this morning and I am praying for you and wish you the best of luck. I have a beautiful little girl named Chloe that I was blessed with 5 years ago! Unlike you, we went into this journey unknowing. I wouldn't change a minute of it! God Bless as you begin your journey, and I look forward to getting to know you!
    Kahleah Lawler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna Grace,
    I know we rarely see each other but I still feel that "family several times removed"?? feeling and have enjoyed reading your posts. You are such a sweet person and have such "positiveness" about you that it is contagious. Good Luck with that c section! Many Blessings on your beautiful new baby and faily and many wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery! Congrats!!! Lot of Love! Beth Stanton Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saying a prayer for you that all goes well. God Bless,
    Brian and Roxanne Steele

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Congrats to your beautiful family. I got your blog through Rosalie. I have a daughter with a cleft lip and palate. I'm praying your daughter is healthy! It's scary but God will give you the strength you need. Congrats on your baby girl!

    Mandy Simmerman

    ReplyDelete
  10. May God Bless You and Your Family. HPE community has some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. My daughter, Hannah, only lived 12 days, but I still thank God for her every day. I HoPE all the best for your baby and family.
    Karen Smith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Chris and Judy O'Neill

    ReplyDelete