Welcome to our family blog!

This blog was started in October 2010 shortly before our daughter, Abigail Grace, was born. She was diagnosed at our 18 week ultrasound with Holoprosencephaly (HPE), and we were preparing for a child with very complex medical needs and a shortened life expectancy. Abby was born on November 12th and sadly passed away just four days later. This blog follows me, Matt and Abby’s big brother, Connor, along our journey from preparing for Abby’s birth through our adjustment to life without her.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fat-free dressing

This week I discovered that Macy’s has an entire department dedicated to “Shapewear”.  This includes items with taglines like “fat-free dressing” and “body behave”.  One tag said “Your clothes shouldn’t require 45 minutes of cardio to wear”.  It was really quite amazing to go through; tubes, tanks, slips.  This is some very serious spandex we’re talking about- “Spanx” is just the beginning.  There is a piece to go under just about any cut dress you can find.

I also discovered that I clearly have no concept of the size and shape of my body.  If you’ve never had a baby before, let me enlighten you- there is a very specific post-partum body that new mommies have.  We’ll just call it a bit curvier with a pudgy lower abdomen.

Now, I’ve had this “mommy body” once before, so why am I only being enlightened to this booming shapewear industry now?  Because last time I had another “accessory” to distract from the curves.  It’s what most women get with their mommy body, it’s their baby.  No one cares what you look like when you’re holding or pushing around that bundle of joy.  Your hair doesn’t need to be done, you can go out makeup free; your clothes don’t have to fit properly.  All you need to look like a million bucks is that gorgeous baby and the smile he or she puts on your face. 

Why do I even care how I look right now?  Matt and I have a wedding to attend this weekend.  Yes, four weeks and one day after giving birth to Abby, and exactly three weeks to the day after laying her to rest, Matt and I will be at a wedding for very close friends of ours.  Matt is actually in the wedding, and I will encase myself in military grade spandex under my dress to look half way decent next to him.  I am praying for the strength to make it through this event and be joyful for our friends who are celebrating such a wonderful time in their lives.  We’re glad to be with our friends; we would never want to miss celebrating such an important event.  But it will be the first time I’m really going out in public beyond dropping Connor at school or shopping with my mother.  Much like Arthur’s mom, I’m just hoping no one pulls the trigger. 

4 comments:

  1. Donna you would be beautiful covered in mud! All anyone needs to do is have a conversation with you. :)

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, we just have to take a deep breath and force ourselves to do the normal things in life again. Try to remember that Abby always goes with you in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DonnaGrace,
    I pray that Abby with an army of her angel baby friends surrounds you and keeps you in joy and peace.
    I do love you.
    Aunty Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Donna, I can remember wearing the sweats I came home from the hospital without my Madison and just wearing them (Baby pink too)...having never been through this transition before of my new body it was beyond my comprehension and it felt more nauseating than anything I've experienced before.. Amongst other things, sometimes it takes an event to keep pushing us forward. I'm glad you went to this wedding, your selflessness is immeasurable. I'm not sure I would of been as strong as you and Matt 3 weeks later. As one said, you would be beautiful covered in mud, and I absolutely agree!

    To the most Graceful person I know...
    Love
    Chandra

    ReplyDelete